Downhill mountain biking is extremely challenging. The combination of natural obstacles on the trail and indiscriminate gravitational forces make these riders very appreciative of high performance protective gear.
Downhill mountain bikers hike, ride or sometimes take a chairlift to the top of a trail, then fly down the mountain. What kinds of safety gear do they want? Here you will find our top picks for each type of protection commonly worn for this sport.
Already know what you're looking for? Shop our entire selection.
Items in this Gift Guide - Helmet | Goggles | Neck Brace | Body Armor | Elbow Pads | Wrist Guards | Gloves | Padded Shorts | Shirts & Shorts | Knee and Shin Guards | Angle Guard
Sizes - Check out this article on how to measure for the best fit. There's also a link to the manufacturer's size guide on each product page near the price.
Building Your Outfit
- Make your choice, go to the product's Add to Cart page
- Continue Shopping link to return here
- Scroll down the page to the next item, repeat
- Open your Cart (top of the page) to show all your items. Or Browser Refresh to update your Cart. Now check out and place your order!
Here's our staff pick. Want more choices? Shop all downhill MTB helmets
Fox Rampage is an excellent choice for the low end of the price spectrum
- Lightweight and comfortable for all day riding
- Removable/washable liner
- Fox is one of the most recognized brands on the mountain. The list of pros wearing their products is extremely impressive
Troy Lee Designs D2 is loaded with high end features, you get a lot for your money
- A true multi-sport helmet, the D2 meets safety standards for mountain biking, BMX, skiing and snowboarding. It's also worn by NASCAR pit crews!
- Carbon composite shell with 8 cooling vents with screens to keep out dirt and bugs
- Aerodynamic designs and custom graphics made Troy Lee Designs world-famous. TLD helmets stand out on the mountain
Leatt DBX 5.0 V12 is like crossing a Porsche with a Hummer. This helmet delivers serious performance and protection. Getting this helmet as a gift would make a rider's jaw drop. features
- 360° Turbine Technology for concussion and brain rotation safety delivers groundbreaking head and brain protection. Multi-density V-shaped foam further reduces G-forces transferred to the head. Multiple impact protection
- Small outer shell, lightweight and super ventilated even at low speeds
- Leatt is the gold standard for extreme sport protection and their products are used by athletes worldwide
Here's our staff pick. Want more choices? Shop all MTB goggles
Giro Blok designed for downhill MTB are comfortable and loaded with tech features
- Riders need to be able to see the trail and pick out obstacles in time to react. Giro's Expansion View Technology (EXV) provides a huge field of view and excellent visual acuity
- When mud is flying, riders want to be able to tear off lens layers. 10 pack of tear-offs included
Here are our staff picks. Want more choices? Shop all neck braces
Leatt DBX 4.5 for DH MTB & BMX racing on a budget
- Split design with padding for comfortable fit
- Compatible with body armor and full face helmet
- Leatt is the biggest name in neck braces. The roster of athletes wearing Leatt is unmatched
Leatt DBX 5.5 offers more adjustments and, once you get it set up to fit your body, it’s always trail-ready. No fuss!
- Great range of motion increases trail visibility see all features
- Super easy to clean (easier than the 4.5)
- Leatt is the neck brace leader with their patented Load Path Technology for distributing the forces from an impact
Leatt Fusion Vest 3.0 is a combo neck brace and chest protector, gives you 2 pieces of gear in one
- Neck and torso protection against chest, flank, shoulder, back and neck injuries
- 3 dimensional design for perfect fit see all features
- Leatt is the first to offer neck and torso protection in one integrated package
Here are our staff picks. Want more choices? Shop all body armor including padded shirts
Fox Titan Sport Jacket offers affordable upper body protection. Used for downhill, mountain biking, BMX, skiing, snowboarding
- Easy on & off with one zipper. Available in youth sizes features
- Pro-grade protection; Shoulder, elbow, forearm, hip bone, spine/tailbone, kidney belt
- Fox protective gear is used for motocross and mountain biking. Also a popular action sports clothing brand
Troy Lee Designs 7855 Upper Body Armor tuned for hot weather. Short sleeve version also available features
- Innovative Vent-Trak cooling system keeps air moving and the rider comfortable
- Full circumference coverage; Shoulders, collarbones, biceps, elbows, forearms, ribs, chest, back, kidneys, waist
- Troy Lee Designs makes casual and protective clothing for the fastest racers in the world
Leatt Body Protector 5.5 is CE certified for the ultimate protection features
- Ventilation slots for air flow, MoistureCool wicking fabric, zip off sleeves
- Great fit assured by Leatt’s 3D design. Full range of protection for shoulder, chest, back, flank, elbows
- Leatt’s reputation for absolute protection and engineering is reflected in their many patents
Elbow Pads and Guards
Here are our staff picks. Want more choices? Shop all elbow pads
Fox Launch Pro offers hard shell protection downhillers need plus soft pads behind, below and sides of the elbow
- Slide-on neoprene sleeve (perforated for ventilation) with hole at elbow crease
- Water and dirt repellent, machine washable
- Fox is a widely recognized, highly regarded protective gear brand
7iDP Control is low profile, lightweight with all the benefits of hard shell protection
- Minimalist approach to ergonomic elbow protection (won’t distract the rider)
- Well ventilated, double layer custom foams. Infinite adjustment for custom fit, ensures the pad stays put
- 7iDP built their company on intelligent design protection (“IDP”). The features & functionality of their products deliver outstanding value for the price
POC Joint VPD 2.0 DH (DH for Downhill) offers super high end protection capable of withstanding just about any crash
- Molded VPD 2.0 elbow protector complies with the 1621-1 motorcycle standard (extraordinary)
- Flexible hardshell cap. Overall lightweight thanks to POC’s VPD padding
- The POC brand is known worldwide. POC’s proprietary VPD padding material is soft but stiffens on impact
"Can't Go Wrong" Gifts - Want a quick and easy gift for your rider? Shop gloves, shirts and shorts.
This Gift Guide is still
Need help now? Contact us!