Bern Helmets Explained
Bern Unlimited has quickly become known for making stylish, cool-looking helmets that can be used across a number of sports. But all the options can make it difficult to know which Bern helmet is right for you.
In terms of looks and styling, Bern’s helmets can be broken into two classes: brimmed and non-brimmed (with the option to attach a visor or not.) The Bern Macon helmet
and women's Bern Brighton helmet
do not have a brim. The Bern Watts helmet
and the women’s Lenox have a brim that is molded as part of the shell. A detachable visor is available for non-brimmed styles. Within these two styles, you can find several different constructions in terms of the exterior shell and interior protective liner.
ABS Thin Shell with EPS foam liner
Stiff EPS foam has become the industry standard for bicycle helmets because it can protect your head well from one major impact.
- Available in these Bern helmets: Watts, Macon, Brighton
- Shell: Ultra thin ABS shell specifically engineered for EPS foam
- Impact Foam: Expanded polystyrene hard foam interior for high-impact protection
- Features: Approximately 20% lighter than previous models
- Standards: Complies with CPSC, ASTM F 2040, EN1077B, EN1078
Bern’s patented ZipMold process is the equivalent of injection molding. This process fuses a polycarbonate (PVC) shell with a liquid-injected, high-impact foam.
- Available in these Bern helmets: Brentwood, Nino
- Shell: Tough PVC thin shell exterior
- Impact Foam: Liquid injected Zipmold interior for high-impact protection
- Features: Engineered with a tapered edge and seamless finish. Ultra-lightweight Zipmold technology provides a high strength to weight ratio.
- Standards: Complies with CPSC, ASTM F 2040, EN1078
Bern’s HardHats feature a burly ABS shell and Bern’s patented Brock soft foam to provide general head protection from multiple low-impacts
- Available in these Bern helmets: Watts, Macon
- Shell: Thicker ABS shell specifically designed for Brock foam
- Impact Foam: Soft and breathable Brock foam for multiple low-impact protection
- Features: Brock is open cell foam, which allows air to circulate through the foam and out of the helmet, keeping you cool and dry.
- Standards: Bern Hard Hats do not meet action sports head protection standards.
- Hard Hats are designed to protect against multiple lower force impacts and may prevent concussions when hard foam helmets will not.
Bern's water helmets feature porous, closed-cell Brock foam that breathes during your session but dries quickly once you're out of the water.
- Available in these Bern helmets: Macon
- Shell: Burl ABS shell specifically designed for Brock foam
- Impact foam: Soft and breathable Brock foam for multiple low-impact protection
- Features: Porous, closed-cell Brock foam offers great moisture circulation. Lined with water-resistant EVA and laminated neoprene.
- Standards: Complies with CE 1385
XSportsProtective staff picks for Bern bike helmets
We love the Bern Macon helmet
because of its classic skate styling, ample ventilation, and removable visor. Other features of the Bern Macon helmet:
- Ultra-thin ABS shell
- Stiff expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam interior liner for high-impact protection
- 13 vents
- Goggle clip
- Weighs only 20 ounces
- Meets CPSC, ASTM F 2040, EN 1077B and EN1078 safety standards
Dennis Leedom, an avid skier, biker, snowboard, and park skater, founded Bern Unlimited in July 2004. From 1989-1997, he took part in pioneering recreational helmet use for snow sports in the USA representing Boeri helmets. He then took part in developing and managing the Leedom helmet brand from 1997-2003. Committed to safety, he was using different helmets for his different activities when inspiration struck. In 2004, he assembled and engaged a core team of partners to develop the vision of Bern Unlimited – to give action sports enthusiasts one lid that is adaptable to all seasons and all non-motorized action sports. The Bern brand was launched to the retail trade at the Action Sport Retailer show in September 2005.
Today, Bern Unlimited is a lifestyle action sport company specializing in head protection for non-motorized action sports. Bern is passionate, focused and committed to providing skaters, snowboarders, skiers, bikers and wakeboarders with adaptable all-season head protection that fits each rider’s individual personality and style. Bern also offers action sport enthusiasts other products that promote and complement their lifestyles.
Bern’s mission is to deliver products that action sports participants want before they know they want them. Through new designs, engineering and development, Bern has driven the evolution of head protection. These key Bern differences are designed to enhance your performance, comfort, quality, style and the overall experience of doing what you love to do.