The POC Trabec Race MIPS Bicycle Helmet: Thorough protection.
POC didn't overlook important protective features in designing the POC Trabec Race MIPS bike helmet. The EPS liner is reinforced with military-grade aramid fibers for extra toughness and durability. MIPS technology, unique to POC, aids to further protect your head from rotational blows. The Trabec Race design has a deep back profile for extended rear head protection, and a lower cut at the temples for increased temple protection. In a word: protective.
The POC Trabec Race MIPS Bicycle/Mountain Bike Helmet
- POC MIPS technology
- In-mold construction
- Deep rear profile
- Outer shell includes 3 seams in least exposed areas
- Reinforced EPS lining w/aramid (also called Kevlar) filaments for increased integrity
- Rear fit adjustment, easily slide to lengthen/shorten helmet for snug fit
- 16 vents, internal channels, strategically placed for cool air flow
- Deep rear profile extends back of head protection
- Fit strap: Attaches to helmet at back/front of ears; sliding buckles tighten/loosen at ears; adjusts through chin buckle
- Chin buckle slides, clicks when secure
- Padding: One piece, removable, extra padding included
- Visor: Protects eyes from sun, bugs, branches; adjustable
- Helmet travel bag included
- POC Graphics on sides; POC sticker included
- Weight: 360 grams for size medium/large
- Meets US CPSC, EN 1078 safety standards
- Suitable for Commuter, Downhill Mountain, XC Race, Cyclocross
What is POC MIPS technology?
Statistics show that the most common accident occurs with an oblique (or sliding/sideways) hit to the head, yet most helmets are typically safety tested by dropping them vertically on a rigid surface. POC's MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System) technology absorbs both vertical impacts (in the event that you fall directly on your head) and oblique impacts (in the more likely event that your head takes a rotational blow). This mimics one of the safety systems Mother Nature put into the human head. Your brain is surrounded by a low-friction cushion of cerebrospinal fluid. MIPS imitates the brain's method of protecting itself by giving POC helmets with MIPS their own low-friction layer between the ABS/PC outer shell and the PC liner. When subjected to an oblique impact, the low-friction layer allows a small rotation of the shell relative to the liner, which reduces the force of the impact on the brain. In short, MIPS technology provides 21st century technology fused with a design innovation from the modern human brain, now in its 160,000th year. POC developed MIPS helmet technology in cooperation with the Royal Institute of Technology and Karolinska Institute of Sweden.
Bottom Line on the POC Trabec Race MIPS Bike Helmet
The POC Trabec Race MIPS bike helmet offers great protection in an open-face helmet for mountain or commuter bike riders.
POC: A company devoted to innovationPOC is a young Swedish company whose mission is to do all it can to save lives and reduce the consequences of accidents for gravity sport athletes by developing and renewing what personal protection is all about. POC combines sophisticated engineering with spare Scandinavian styling to produce what are arguably some of the best-looking, high-tech protective gear on the planet. The company has won numerous international design awards. In terms of safety, one award in particular stands out. Volvo, possibly the most safety-conscious company in the world, awarded POC its Grand Prize in the category of Active Safety as part of their prestigious annual Volvo ISPO Sports Design Award competition. POC now has a partnership with Polygiene AB to include Polygiene odor control wipes in POC ski helmets, bike helmets, and body armor.