ProTec Helmets - iconic helmets for skateboarding, BMX, dirt jumping, and longboarding
ProTec helmets have a solid reputation in the action sports world. ProTec helmets are made with one of three different kinds of liners:
- 2-stage soft foam
- stiff expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam
- surface-activated expanded polypropylene (SXP)
Each ProTec helmet liner is designed to cushion your head in the event of an impact. However, each type of Pro Tec helmet liner is best suited for a particular kind of activity. Read more about the different types of ProTec helmet liners
below.(Note that the helmet liner is the padding next to the plastic outer shell of the helmet, not the thin comfort pads that might be next to your head).
ProTec Protective Gear: wear it for skateboarding, longboarding, BMX, and snowboarding
In addition to the ProTec helmet line, ProTec extends its pledge to safety with a full line of protective gear, including ProTec knee pads, elbow pads, wrist and ankle guards, and body armor. Helping you stay safe while playing hard is what ProTec is all about. Thatís why many of the most respected names in action sports choose ProTec helmets and ProTec protective gear.
One of the most impressive aspects of Pro Tecís product line is its depthóthe company offers protective gear for all levels of ability and usage. For instance, if youíre searching for skateboard protective gear, Pro-Tec offers a variety of skate knee pads and skate elbow pads from which to choose:
Still have questions about your ProTec helmet? XSportsProtective has the solution!
If youíre wondering about ProTec helmet sizing, ProTec helmet certifications, or anything else about your ProTec helmet, check out the helmet learning center
for more information!
XSportsProtective staff picks for ProTec Helmets and ProTec Protective Gear
With a product line as broad as ProTecís, it's difficult to narrow down our favorites, but we did. Here's our picks...
- The clear Pro-Tec Classic Skate Helmet - Bucky Lasek edition is one of the most popular skateboard helmets we sell. Sometimes referred to as the ProTec clear helmet, the Lasek Classic skate helmet echoes the full-cut style of the ProTec Classic skate helmet but with trimmed-off ear covers.
- Soft 2-stage foam liner
- High-density polyethylene exterior shell
- Nylex lamination on 2-stage liner
- 11 open vents
- The ProTec B2 bike/skate helmet also features the trimmed ear covers. Some of the other great features on the ProTec B2 SXP bike/skate helmet are:
- Multi-impact SXP inner liner
- High-impact ABS exterior shell
- Meets CPSC bike safety and ASTM skateboard safety standards
- Die-cut PU foam padding with laminated Nylex
- 15 open vents
- ProTec Drop-In knee pads have just about everything you could want in a skateboard knee pad, like:
- High grade fabric
- Gusseted stitching
- Friction/rip resistant nylon
- Butterfly closure for easy on/off
- Replaceable hard cap with a built-in wear indicator that makes it easy to see when you need a new cap
ProTec Helmets: the Different ProTec Helmet Liners - Explained
Here's a guide to the different ProTec helmet liners / helmet models that you will find on our site:
- ProTec Helmets with 2-Stage Liner. ProTecís 2-stage foam liner is light in weight, high in comfort, and available on all ProTec skateboard helmets, such as the ProTec Classic Skate Helmet, the ProTec Classic Full-Cut Skate Helmet, the ProTec B2 Skate Helmet, and the ProTec Ace Skate Helmet. Pro-Tec skateboard helmets with a 2-stage liner are designed to absorb multiple small impacts, however, they do NOT carry a specific safety certification (which is not unusual for skateboard helmets).
- ProTec Helmets with EPS Liner. Pro-Tec bike/skate helmets have either an expanded polystyrene (EPS) or surface-activated expanded polypropylene (SXP) liner. EPS foam liners are the industry standard for action sport helmets; however, they are not multi-impact. EPS liners offer greater impact protection than the 2-stage foam liner (meaning that your head will be better protected from a big impact, like a bike crash), however, they can "lose" their maximum protective abilities after sustaining a collision because the stiff foam lining condenses upon impact and does not pop back to its original shape. ProTecís EPS foam liner meets Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards for bicycle helmets. This liner is available on the ProTec Classic Bike/Skate, B2 Bike/Skate, Ace Bike/Skate, ProTec Cyphon, and Shovelhead 2 helmets. All ProTec snowboard helmets also feature this liner.
- ProTec Helmets with SXP Liner. If youíre looking for a multi-impact helmet that you can use for both skateboarding and biking, ProTec Ace bike/skate helmets and ProTec B2 bike/skate helmets feature multi-impact SXP liners. This light but stiff liner is a good choice for aggressive active sports enthusiasts because it attempts to merge the benefits of ProTecís 2-stage liner and EPS foam liner: High-impact protection that is designed to rebound after an impact without condensing permanently, potentially allowing for protection even after an impact.
ProTec Helmets: Protection for Progression
Founded in 1973, Pro-Tec is the original action sports protective gear brand. The companyís product line includes skateboard helmets and skate helmets, bike/skate helmets, mountain bike helmets, gloves, upper body armor, knee and elbow pads, shin and ankle guards, and helmet liners. No other company comes close to matching ProTecís list of achievements in protection, while never forgetting the importance of style, price and comfort. Evidence of this is ProTecís leadership in high-performance helmets for skateboarding, biking, and snowboarding. On the outside, ProTec perfectly blends classic and contemporary styling to make the ProTec helmet one of the most iconic brands of the action sports world. Beyond the surface, ProTec ďengineers inĒ quality materials like rugged ABS plastic shells, stainless steel hardware, soft tubular webbing strapping, and in some models multi-impact SXP liner technology, for dependable performance mile after mile.